أولئك على هدى من ربهم وأولئك هم المفلحون
Those are upon [right] guidance from their Lord, and it is those who are the successful.[2:5]
- Why not say هؤلاء – these? Those, is used for objects that are far; shows their high level and rank.
- What did they do? Followed the previous ayats.
- Why mention from their lord? For honour and nobility, as Allah is mentioned next to them.
- Who is a Falaah? A farmer when he is about to reap the harvest; he reached their with a lot of exertion and toil. Implication: Success requires hard work.
- Why is a noun used? Verbs are temporary. Implication: They will always be successful.
- Why mention Al? Makes the group specific; a lot of people claim they are guided and are successful.
Ibn Kathir: Allah did not mention what they are successful in. Effect: Expansion of Meaning. They will attain success in everything (this world and the hereafter).
- This concludes the description of the first group of people. All praise is for Allah SWT!