اهْدِنَا الصِّرَاطَ الْمُسْتَقِيمَ
Guide us to the Straight Way
What is the connection?
- The most important thing that we can ask is for guidance. If someone was misguided, then they are doomed in this world and the next.
Do you know these?
- هدى comes from هداية, which means to guide someone with care and affection. It includes the following: to show the path, to help ‘walk’ on the path, and to guide until the final destination (show, walk, reach).
- The root of the word is قام/يقوم, which means to stand upright. Hence the صراط is an upward path to Allah. As one rises in levels, one comes closer to Allah, and distant from the lowly world.
- A path which is even, wide enough, and can be travelled without difficulty. It is also the shortest, the easiest, and the only path to Jannah.
Can you answer these?
- Why not say guide me? When you say this, you are making duaa for yourself and for all the believers (we know from the Sunnah that the angels make duaa for you, when you make duaa for others).
- Why mention the صراط ? In this are two duaas: to guide us to the صراط in the dunya and to guide us on the صراط over the Hellfire (thus, safely entering Jannah).
- What does the Al mean? The path of guidance is only one; the paths of misguidance are many. It could also be لإستغراق; we want all the guidance of the صراط and not part of it.
- Why add المستقيم? This shows that the صراط path has absolutely no flaws and is absolutely clear.
- What is the response to this duaa? The Qur’an. When is it recited? It is in Salaah. Allah SWT answers our duaa every single time. The question is, are we paying attention to the answer.
Did you know…
- This is the most comprehensive and the most beneficial duaa. Imagine if Allah accepted this duaa, and gave us هداية (go back to the definition). Will we ever be in loss?
- This duaa includes everything for this world and the hereafter. It brings all benefits and repels all harms.
- السعدي رحمة الله عليه: The Hidayah includes the details of all religious knowledge and actions.
- تفسير الميسر :There is no path to happiness except by remaining firm on this path.
Do you know how to be guided? Click Here.